There are a few things in summer that are an absolute must: road trips, beach days – and air conditioning! Keeping your window down the entire road trip won’t bode well for your guests – or the free flow of conversation to talk over all that wind. Air conditioning helps make the summer heat bearable.
Given this heat wave that descended upon Southern Ontario this summer, we’ve been fielding a lot of questions lately about Air Conditioning and the importance of maintenance.
Understanding the anatomy of your A/C
Not many people know, but maintaining your air conditioning is just as important as getting an oil change. Your air conditioning compressor has oil in it, and has to be changed out on a regular basis to keep the A/C system running at maximum capacity and longevity.
Your car’s air conditioning system works just like a refrigerator or your home air conditioning, with the primary purpose of the system to remove hot air from the inside of your vehicle. The system conditions the air by cooling it and removing moisture to make you more comfortable while you drive. This magical unit also removes allergens and other small particles from the air – so it’s a huge help around allergy season.
Air Conditioning and Climate Control Systems have many components, including a compressor, a condenser, an evaporator (or drier), refrigeration lines, and a couple of sensors – all of which could potentially fail, making it all the more important to get it checked.
Why has my A/C stopped working?
Can you imagine having your air conditioning unit fail out on you halfway through a road trip? It would probably cause a mutiny on your hands. If that does happen, it could be a result of the following symptoms:
- There’s a small leak in a hose or a crack in a seal that is letting cold air escape.
- You need an evacuation and recharge of the A/C system and get rid of any impurities in the refrigerant.
- Or it could be a simple top up of the refrigerant.
Here’s what our process looks like in four easy steps
Did you know that without regular maintenance an air conditioner loses about 5% of its original efficiency per year? You also might not know, but your air conditioner is just as important in the wintertime, because it provides a drier air to defrost your windshield a lot quicker than without it.
So when you really think about it, having a healthy and functioning A/C is needed for all four seasons.
Here are four preventative steps that the Eastside experts take:
- Our technicians will run through an A/C diagnostic inspection to accurately pinpoint any leaks or malfunctioning parts.
- Upon a completed inspection, we will send you a Digital Vehicle Report Card that includes everything found in the inspection.
- You can then decide which repairs to complete and our skilled service advisors will work with you through the entire process.
- We only use top-quality, reliable parts at our stores and will replace the old parts as necessary.
So with all of that being said, you need to ask yourself this summer – are you actually refreshed and feeling cooled with full airflow in your car? If not, it might be time to book an appointment with the experts and bring your vehicle to Eastside Auto Service for an A/C Performance Check.
Don’t let a broken A/C frustrate you even further. Schedule your appointment now!